Friday, September 23, 2011

NFL Mommies


I joined an online community of expatriate mothers living in Shanghai, and through their myriad articles, forums, and events, I have found the cheapest diapers, healthcare options, parks for tiny tots, and lots of playgroups.  Not to mention friendships with women who share many of my “adventures” as we raise young children in an unfamiliar city in a foreign country.

Amidst the message board chats dominated by debates regarding the best schools, pediatricians, and ayis (hired help for cooking/cleaning/childcare – definitely the most contentious topic in these circles), one posting in particular stood out for me in the digest email this week:

Mamas, any NFL fans?  

 And it was the most frequented forum of the day!

So this morning, a group of American mothers in China hastily shuttled their kids off to school and their husbands off to work, and headed for the one sports bar in town, where they are drinking beers and watching the Saints/Packers game live at 8:30am.

Just one reason why I love these tenacious ladies.

1 comment: