Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's in a name?


For a laowai (foreigner), choosing a Chinese name is an important task.  Names are extremely delicate creations in Chinese culture, as they must combine harmonious sounds (including syllable and tone), beautiful characters, and a rich meaning behind both the stand-alone characters and their combined story.

Apparently, either the same care is not taken by Chinese choosing their English names, or perhaps something is just lost in translation.  I'm seeing a lot of nametags of fruits (Kiwi, Cherry), astrologically-minded folks (Stellar, Moonbeam), and old-fashioned men (Herman, Howard).  But when Kiki tells me I need to take my choice of Chinese name seriously, I comply.
Wei, our last name

With the help of his tutor back in the States, Matt selected Wei Lian [way lee-ON].  It has the often-sought benefit of sounding similar to his Anglo "Williams", which is convenient when both names appear on his business cards.  There were many Wei characters to choose from; this particular one means "mighty/power" and is a common and well-regarded surname in China.  The character for Lian has many layered meanings, generating a connotation of integrity.  His tutor told him it means he is "clean-handed and clear-headed".  I like that, but when tested on some NYU classmates who grew up in mainland China, they thought it was a bit too Taiwanese, so Matt is still tinkering with his exact moniker before he commits it to his business cards.

Lian

My name, Wei Ruilin [way ray-LING], is a work in progress.  The tutor and I were never really satisfied with it, because while it sounds pretty, it's not as rich in meaning as it should be.  It also sounds nothing like my Anglo name.  I'm hoping to start Mandarin classes soon, and will brainstorm suitable names with my teacher.

Rui Lin

We seem to have hit the naming jackpot when it comes to our little Wei Wei [way way].  TJ is quite the celebrity here, with her being such a young baby out and about; generally, Chinese people keep their babies indoors at this age to protect their "most precious angels".  Her big blue eyes and tendency to flirt with anyone who smiles at her certainly contribute to the magnetic attraction she possesses.  Forget directions to the bathroom or counting money, the first words of Mandarin I've mastered here are to explain that TJ is 2 months old and what her name is.  I started out telling people her birth name, and was met by expressions ranging from confusion to disgust.  Once I switched to telling people her Chinese name, Wei Wei's admirers began squealing in delight and instantly engaging her in lengthy conversations involving lots of repeating of the words for small and baby (at least that's all I can recognize).  

Wei (TJ's name)

Wei Wei is a great kid's name, as it serves the dual function of proper name and nickname wrapped up in one.  When said aloud, the exact tones could suggest a very feminine character loosely translated as "precious/rare jade", but it also sounds the same as a popular boy's name (which obviously I love!).  So the star of the show -- and the one in our family who will wind up being most Chinese culturally and linguistically due to her upbringing here -- has her perfect Chinese name, delighting the instant audience we have everywhere we go.  Shine on, Wei Wei, shine on.

1 comment: