I’ve written shamefully few blog
posts lately. Part of that is due
to a child who suddenly doesn’t remember how to be still; it’s tricky to write
when TJ is constantly crawling towards some new danger that we hadn’t
yet predicted and properly baby-proofed.
But another factor is my
lack of inspiration recently. Dare
I say that life has become fairly routine and predictable? It took a visit from a non-resident
-- my friend Sarah who flew all the way from NYC to be with us for the holidays -- to remind me that there is plenty
here to write about. Perhaps my
bearings are shifting, because what I now consider familiar and common was
a source of awe, laughter, quizzical expressions, and photo opportunities for
Sarah. One weekday morning, she
accompanied TJ and I on our standard stroll, and I introduced her to the daily
activities of Fuxing Park.
Upon entering, we hear the sound of one of a handful of choirs singing (this one is accompanied by an accordion). They have lyrics or a song list or some sort of instructions hanging up to the right. Sometimes these singers approach the harmonies of a church choir, but more typically it sounds like a karaoke bar with well-lubricated patrons.
Then it's on to the group playing badminton without a net.
Sidenote: it's extremely difficult to photograph a sport with super-thin racquets and tiny darting shuttlecocks. Apologies, but hopefully you get the gist.
Next we circle around to the man writing beautiful calligraphy on the sidewalk with a long brush dipped in water. He writes in the traditional vertical style (here actually viewed from upside-down) and I'm guessing it's some sort of poetry, but I have no idea. This man has many admirers who come by to read his creations before they evaporate and disappear. I love the impermanence of these messages; it reminds me of the sand artist in Wash Square.
One of the most popular park
activities is ballroom dancing. From small group lessons with coaches to huge flash-mobs united only by a boom-box, dancers are everywhere. I love seeing women (typically of the older generation) changing into their special dance shoes, the worn heels and scuffed toes revealing years of dedication to this hobby. I also marvel at how this is both sport and social engagement; I've observed many (seeming) strangers who begin dancing solo at the fringes and are eventually invited to pair up with a random partner. Here we have a well organized group practicing a set routine with impressive synchronization.
Throughout our wanderings, we encounter many people "exercising". I use this term loosely because although I do believe the intention is physical wellness, most of the actions of the park inhabitants do not resemble our own ideas of what exercise looks like. First of all, gym clothes do not appear to exist. A few nights ago when we saw a man jogging in a blazer, Matt joked that this puts a whole new spin on "sport coat". But mostly, the differences are in the actions that constitute the exercises. Unfortunately, most of these don't photograph well: walking backwards, walking in slo-mo, walking while humming and clapping, statuesque poses. Here's the best I could capture on camera: one man shrugging repeatedly under a tree, and another swinging his arms so as to violently beat his chest and back.
Let's not forget martial arts. The couple on the left were a treat because I've rarely seen this done as a tandem act, and the woman on the right was one of Sarah's favorites due to her hot pink satin ensemble (you can't tell from the photo, but she had the yin/yang symbol on her sneakers -- awesome). She also maintained remarkable focus, considering her choice of location was smack in the middle of a busy walkway.
Sadly, there are many more
activities that Sarah and I failed to photograph: the dilapidated
amusement park, the synchronized maracas-shakers, the fan dancers, the
samurai-sword spinners, the hushed reading and knitting circles, the potty training toddlers with exposed bottoms, and the myriad of people staring at TJ in her stroller as if she is the most eccentric sight in the park.
Thank you Sarah for
contributing some of the photographs for this post. And for reminding us that we live in an absolutely crazy
place.



How funny! Even ONE of the things you mentioned sounds crazy/strange/exceptional to me -- I can hardly believe that ALL of them exist in just one park! What a fun glimpse into life in Shanghai.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! So refreshing to be reminded that what has become mundane is actually awesome. I'm very inspired by your post though it makes me miss Shanghai even more!
ReplyDeleteI also love getting another lao-wais p.o.v.
Please keep posting! Miss you and TJ, but see you soon.