Monday, August 20, 2012

Look Who's Talking

We have recently entered a fun new phase with TJ -- talking!  So far she has about a dozen words under her belt, some coming and going in phases where she seems to utter nothing else but her word du jour (not annoying at all! gotta love toddlers...)

Here's the current TJ Dictionary:

Baba = I see a baby in this book (never used for real-life babies)

Ball = coolest toy ever!

Blala = a yummy fruit with a yellow peel, commonly called a "banana"

Bye Bye (+ hand flapping) = someone is standing near the door, which means they just might exit soon

Dada = hey mama, the phone is ringing

Done (+ throwing hands into air) = I'm bored, so find a new way to occupy my attention now or I'm going to be very unhappy in 5...4...3...2...

Down = hey dopes, remember how I prefer to walk rather than be carried anywhere?

Mama (said in happy voice) = term of endearment for mama, daddy, BK, Ayi, the barista, the stewardess, and nice looking strangers

Mama (said in whimper/scream) = calling the one & only Mama

No = I'm a toddler and I have opinions

Shoes = let's put these on so we can go outside, please

Xie Xie (sounds like shee-eh shee-eh) = literally "thanks" in Mandarin, this was TJ's 3rd word, and first word in Mandarin, but we haven't heard her say it in over a month when she entered into rebellious toddlerhood

Xi Shou (sounds like she show) = literally "wash hands", and it is used in conjunction with one of TJ's favorite activities . . . seriously

Yum = this meal has my stamp of approval; alt. I would like some of what you're eating, please

Zhe ge (sounds like jigga) = literally "this", repeated ad nauseum with a finger point

1 comment: