Now that summertime has
turned to fall, the ubiquitous umbrellas are disappearing. This isn’t due to a decrease in rain. Instead it’s because umbrellas here –
particularly for women – aren’t used to stay dry. Rather, they are used to stay pale.
| lots of umbrellas, not a drop of rain |
I guess a more appropriate
term for these required summer accessories would be "parasols". They are
quite fancy here, with tons of colors and patterns, some adorned in lace and
sequins, and even including undersides with some pretty serious looking
UV-blocking material. Think
ball-gown on the outside, spacesuit on the inside.
If a lunchtime stroll on a
sunny day necessitates a parasol, then what about a trip to the beach? Well, the new trend in Qingdao and
other Chinese beach communities is the "face-kini".** To me, this doesn’t look like a particularly enjoyable swim
outfit, but I guess it does allow women to both enjoy the ocean and keep their
skin completely protected.
![]() |
|
the makings of a beach-themed horror movie? (c) AFP/Getty Images |
This concern with remaining
pale extends beyond outdoor protection.
When I want to buy face-wash or body lotion, I have to carefully search
through the aisles to find the small shelf of products that do not contain
“whitening” agents. There are special
creams designed to bleach every part of a woman’s body, from armpits to “down there”. That particular product was a rather
horrifying discovery.
Considering the culture I
grew up in includes tanning salons and bronzing creams, I cannot
claim any sort of superiority over these women who strive to remain fair. And frankly, the lady under the
parasol will have healthier skin as a result of her habits, assuming she goes
easy on the bleaching products.
But as someone who finds
umbrellas rather cumbersome, it seems like a nuisance to have to carry one everyday, just to stay that extra shade of pale.
---
**link to related NYT article
here

No comments:
Post a Comment