Delivering a baby in China is kind of a crazy experience.
And that’s as much as I’m going to say about that on this blog.
But I will tell you about the coolest thing I brought
home from the hospital, besides the baby of course.
It just so happened that I was coming down with a cold
right before going into labor, and so by the time Avery was born I had a
constant tickle in my throat and the strong desire to cough. This isn’t the
most pleasant experience in recovery from a c-section. And between my other
meds and breastfeeding, my treatment options were limited.
Luckily, Traditional
Chinese Medicine includes hands-down the best cough syrup I’ve ever used. This
stuff is legendary; I’ve heard of expats returning to their home country with
stashes, or desperately visiting their local “Chinatown” in search of that
amazing remedy they remember from their days abroad.
| the box |
It’s called Pei Pa
Koa and it’s magical. It tastes, well, like typical cough syrup actually. It has
the appearance and consistency of molasses, and contains a bunch of Chinese
herbs and extracts mixed with honey. One tablespoon of this incredible elixir
and I didn’t have the urge to cough all night long.
| the syrup |
I guess I'm joining the ranks of the crazy repatriates who are hooked on their TCM remedies.
No comments:
Post a Comment