the ways of the Weis, an American expat family in China
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Moganshan: Sun-dried
Shanghai represents China
the way that New York City represents the United States. Which is to say, it doesn’t. The fast pace, busy sidewalks, bright lights, international
flair – not to mention droves of tourists – make it intriguing, but I’m
sometimes left feeling that I’m getting an inauthentic experience here. I’ve been longing for something a
little more average, the Chinese equivalent of “middle America”, the towns and
people that tourists don’t typically experience.
Well, I got my wish this
past weekend when we ventured out of Shanghai with Paul, Matt’s friend and
our first guest in China.
Moganshan is a mountain 3 hours outside of Shanghai that was a popular
expat escape in the 1920s and is slowly experiencing its renaissance as a
relaxing nature retreat. As I
wandered the rustic lanes, I found myself thinking, now THIS is China. I
also found myself noticing a theme in the particular hamlet where we
stayed. Everywhere we looked,
there was bok choy on fences, herbs on grass mats, clothes on lines, wrinkles
on faces.
The whole place was
sun-dried. I couldn’t help but snap
photos of it all.
bok choy drying on bamboo poles
baskets of bok choy with a pile of dried & halved bamboo stalks
hang the laundry on one pole and the produce on another
possibly dried meat, although I didn't want to get close enough to sniff-test
What an adventure! Keep the pics coming.
ReplyDelete