I got into a taxi today with
a female driver. As we pulled up
next to a big city bus, also driven by a woman, I started thinking about the
jobs women in China occupy that they typically don’t back in the US. In my six years in New York City, I
think I saw a female cabbie once. They’re in the minority here, but definitely
not uncommon. In NYC there were
some female bus drivers, but not typically, whereas here I’d say it’s about
50/50. In New York, I never once
saw a female construction worker or utility repairwoman. Yet I’ve noticed many construction
crews here with women in the mix, and utility crews in the streets fixing water
or electrical lines almost always include at least one woman.
This whole reflection in the
taxi reminded me of an experience Matt and I had when we first moved into our
apartment here. Our sliding glass
doors leading out to the balcony were broken, so we called the complex’s
maintenance office and they said they’d send a worker right up. When the doorbell rang, Matt opened it
to discover a very petite, middle-aged woman dressed smartly in a satin floral
blouse, black slacks, and black high heels. He turned to me and shrugged; surely something had been lost
in translation and the management office didn’t understand the nature of our
request. As he and I wondered how
to rectify this, she kicked off her heels, went over to the door, opened her
toolkit, and commenced banging and poking and screwing until the door smoothly
slid open and shut. I was
impressed, and then embarrassed to be impressed, and then excited to live in a
place that was clearly going to break down some stereotypes – in both expected
and unexpected ways.
Many Americans make the mistake
of assuming that China’s developing economy and non-democratic government have
resulted in a society that surely isn’t as progressive as ours. But as I read the American news (with
political gaffes, racially-charged crimes, and woeful business reports), I
think my female taxi driver might begin to challenge that assumption.
No comments:
Post a Comment