Thursday, May 10, 2012

Foreign Food: kumquats


When I started this blog, I intended to chronicle our forays into foreign food much more often than I have so far.  It isn’t for lack of gastronomic adventures – sea slugs, chicken feet, and a red bean milkshake come quickly to mind – but rather because I usually forget to take photos until the evidence has disappeared.

However, the kumquat has become one of my favorite treats here, and as the season is ending, I had to share it … at least visually, which sadly is not nearly as satisfying.

my afternoon snack, a bowl of kumquats

Although I first tasted kumquats elsewhere, these little zingers are native to China.  They are considered good luck here, frequently given as gifts during the Lunar New Year.  Kumquats taste a little bit like tangerines or oranges, but more tart.  Their thin rind is actually the sweetest part, while the inside flesh can be mouth-puckering sour.  

post-sliced, pre-seeded kumquat
 
They can be eaten like grapes, just popped in whole, chewed, and seeds spit out at the end.  However, I prefer a slightly more complicated – and I imagine more refined – method of enjoying them.  First I roll the kumquat between my fingers, a technique recommended by kumquat aficionados to release the essential oils in the peel and soften the inside flesh, breaking down a bit of the sourness.  Then I slice it in half and gently shake out the seeds.  And for the final touch of magic, I dip it in sugar.  Between the fragrant and flavorful rind, sour flesh, and sweet sugar crystals, it is heavenly!

this one is just about to be enjoyed by yours truly

No comments:

Post a Comment