One year ago today, with a
sleeping infant, 13 pieces of luggage, and a mixture of trepidation and
adventure, we stepped off a plane and into China.
I wish I had something really
profound to say about this milestone, but it kind of snuck up on us. It's hard for me to believe
we've already been residents of Shanghai for a year, as I still feel like a
newbie in so many ways. Yet as I go about my daily routines, I am realizing how
much we've normalized so many experiences that were strange and uncomfortable a
year ago. I have many days that I distinctly feel like a visitor here, clearly
a foreigner in a foreign land. But I do think we are slowly carving our own
little niche in this city.
The first year was mostly about hanging on for dear
life as we were thrust onto the wild rides of new (foreign) city, parenthood,
and crazy consulting hours. Now I feel like we can take a deep breath, collect
ourselves, and begin a second year of more intentional living, deeper
discovery, and greater connectedness -- with China and as a family.
With one whirlwind year
under our belt, I'm really looking forward to the journey ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment