the ways of the Weis, an American expat family in China
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Fabric Market: Adventures in Shopping
Yesterday,
TJ and I headed down to the fabric market. My main objective of this trip
wasn’t to capture photos or stories; it was to collect the clothes that I had
commissioned for our upcoming Hawaiian vacation. However, I did manage to
snap a few pictures to share this experience with you.
The fabric
market was not in its finest form yesterday, as both vendors and customers
are already disappearing for the Chinese New Year holidays. To give you a
sense of the madness, though, I’ll share this little anecdote: I took my friend
and super-shopper Sarah to the market, and 30 minutes later she was
looking for the exit. Knowing that I tend to develop heart palpitations
after five minutes in a mall, Sarah was in disbelief that
I enjoyed "shopping" here. What can I say, I’m settling in I guess!
The market
consists of six floors, each housing maybe one hundred little stalls arranged
in an illogical maze-like pattern. Stalls tend to specialize in a fabric
or style. Some simply sell bolts of fabric wholesale, supplying the
tailors with a wider selection than each vendor could possibly carry
independently. Some
sell premade scarves, belts, gloves, and other accessories. Some are
proper tailors who custom-sew men’s suits or shirts to order. Some copy
western fashions, from outerwear (leather or cashmere coats) to ladies’
fashions such as Mad Men inspired dresses, prom-like ensembles, and an array of
blouses and cardigans. It tends to run the gamut
from current fashions to terribly ugly and out-of-date oddities, with some
Chinese styles thrown in for good measure. Generally, they can
recreate their own
samples, produce a nearly perfect replica of any item you bring in, or work from a photo you supply from
the
internet or a magazine.On the
upper floors there are specialty shops dedicated to zippers, buttons, and other
detailing, so that you can theoretically pick out your trims, find
your fabric, and then take it all to a third shop where the tailor will
create
your unique piece. The prices are cheap (<$15 for custom fit men's dress shirt) and everything is negotiable, making the fabric market the perfect place for me to practice my haggling skills in Mandarin.Mini-lesson of the day: tai gui le
= “too expensive!”
endless fabric options
fabric for dress shirts
the scarf shops remind me of the street-corner stands in NYC
suits galore
hideous "western" fashions are instant time-travel
Chinese silks, Chinese styles
The whole experience sounds
ridiculous for one simple piece of clothing: choose a stall, design an item,
pick fabrics and closures, have measurements taken, negotiate the price, return
a week later, check fit and quality, final measurements and negotiations, and
walk away with your new clothes.For a person who detests shopping, I’m really not sure how this has
become appealing to me.I think
perhaps it’s because the fabric market makes shopping a big adventure, an
exploration of a Chinese subculture that is both seedy and extravagant at the same time.And the one-of-a-kind, perfectly fitting, and reasonably priced pieces I now have
are little pearls harvested after much patience and persistence.You can see my gray cashmere winter
coat that has been keeping out the Shanghai chill here.Stay tuned for a
post-Hawaii blog post to witness more fabric market creations!
Val, this reminds me of the visit to NYC in the '70's to the lower east side with your Mom. We went to a big fabric store, made a purchase, and then walked down the street. Hawkers for the tailor shops cajoled us for our business. We settled on a shirt style, left the fabric and returned an hour later to pick up the item. The experience was made more memorable by the fact that the whole district was Jewish with many being fundamentalist.
Imagine my surprise when we went back there a few years back and everything was gone, replaced by high end ready made retailers who were all goyim.
Val, this reminds me of the visit to NYC in the '70's to the lower east side with your Mom. We went to a big fabric store, made a purchase, and then walked down the street. Hawkers for the tailor shops cajoled us for our business. We settled on a shirt style, left the fabric and returned an hour later to pick up the item. The experience was made more memorable by the fact that the whole district was Jewish with many being fundamentalist.
ReplyDeleteImagine my surprise when we went back there a few years back and everything was gone, replaced by high end ready made retailers who were all goyim.