Character Study: Cry
So
far my (very amateur and sparse) study of Mandarin has focused on functional
words and phrases, just the simple pronunciations for me to navigate taxis,
markets, and instructions for our ayi (literally
“auntie”, the woman who helps me with cooking and cleaning). I’ve been intrigued by the written
characters, but have found them to be less pictographic than I originally
imagined, and thus have a hard time learning any.
Well,
I recently found a character that conveys its meaning perfectly. I present you with the Chinese character for “to
cry” (in Mandarin, pronounced kū). It might be my new favorite!
 |
| simple font |
 |
| calligraphy version |
This website has helped me a lot with remembering characters. It may be more difficult to focus on with a baby running around, though.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.memrise.com/set/524/mandarin-survival/
I get it! Now what the character for mama houhou?
ReplyDelete